The Charity is regulated by a Scheme dated the 9 September 1977 issued by the Charity Commission. The Scheme amalgamated three charities known as the United Charities of Griffin and others, the St Mary's Almshouse Charities and the Thirza Martin Almshouses Charity.
The United Charities of Richard Griffin and others were itself a combination of the Charities of Ann Johnson, Richard Griffin, John Tolloos, David Price, Nicholas Rothwell and Sir Thomas Delves for the aged poor. These charities all had long histories and owned land and properties some of where were transferred to the Kings School Foundation. They held land at Barford (which is still owned) and a house in Castle Street which was sold some fifteen years ago.
The St Mary's Almshouse Charities were itself a combination of the Charities known as Westgate Almshouses, Louisa Helen Trollope, Lower Saltisford Almshouses, Upper Saltisford Almshouses, and John Yardley.
- The Lower Saltisford Almshouses derived from the medieval hospital of St Michael. Four almshouses were built at the beginning of the 18th Century, but were demolished in 1964.
- The Upper Saltisford Almshouses originated from St Mary's Poor Houses built by conversion of two barns in Rosemary Lane for 28 women after the fire in 1694. This land was exchanged for some in the Saltisford. Later properties were demolished and the site sold and the proceeds invested.
- The Charity of John Yardley was originally a house in the Saltisford for 4 poor women. The property was sold in 1910.
- The Charity of L H Trollope resulted from a gift of £1,000 from Mrs Trollope for the benefit of the almspeople of Westgate Almshouses.
- The Westgate Almshouses Charity is difficult to trace, but it is known that the Guild of Warwick gave it support and that in 1582 the inmates were receiving parish relief. In 1888 the Misses Louisa and Julia Harris financed the demolition of the almshouses and erected the four almshouses which now stand by the West Gate. One of those ladies (then Mrs Trollope), by her Will devised the £1,000 mentioned above.
The Thirza Martin Almshouse Charity originated from a Trust Deed made by Charles William Martin in 1929 when Nos. 12, 14, 16, 18 and 20 Avon Street were given for use as almshouses. Sometime after the properties were considered unsuitable as almshouses and were sold and the proceeds invested.
The Westgate Almshouses remained largely unaltered until a process of modernisation was commenced in the 1970's, when the garden at the rear was first laid out. In 1993 the extension at the rear was added greatly increasing the comfort and facilities of the residents.
Tibbits Court was constructed in 1980, and was largely financed by a grant from the Housing Corporation.
The Charity is administered by voluntary trustees and day to day administration is carried out by the Clerk.
Almshouses are unfurnished dwellings, usually specially designed with the needs of older people in mind. The aim is to provide convenient and comfortable accommodation in a setting which allows residents to come and go as they please.
Applicants must live within the bounds of the town of Warwick and worthy of assisted housing. Applicants apply on the form provided, and are called to interview by two or more Trustees. Forms may be obtained by clicking "Application Forms" to the left, or from:
C E R Houghton Esq,
Messrs Moore & Tibbits, Solicitors,
34 High Street
Registered Charity Number 216829